Assessors & Their Responsibilites:
The Board of Assessors is a 3-member board, elected by the town residents for a term of 3 years. Meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at 6:00 pm in the Assessors' Office.
Massachusett's law requires the Assessors to list and value all real personal property as of January 1st. All assessed values in Massachusetts are based on "full and fair cash value." The assessors are responsible for meeting the all requirement of the Department of Revenue. In order to meet these requirements, the assessors are obligated to do an interium year adjustment to all properties annually, and once every five years must do a complete revaluation.
The Office of Assessors also is responsible for:
- Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Abatements
- Personal Property Forms of List
- Supplemental Tax Billing
- Real Estate Personal Tax Exemptions
- Chapter Land Valuations and applications review
- Reviewing 3ABC Exemptions forms
- Motor Vehicle Excise Tax billing and abatements
- Property / Parcel information
- Abutters List
- Owner Updates
- Address Changes
- Property Map Data Updates
- New Growth
- Annual Classification Hearing
- Submitting Fiscal Year Recapulation sheet to Dept of Revenue for tax rate approval.