Please Contact the Town Administrator If You Are Interested In Serving
The purpose of the Economic Development Committee is to research and understand the inner workings of Spencer’s local economy and explore opportunities to enhance existing businesses and foster growing industries within the community.
To achieve its mission, the Committee may undertake the following initiatives including, not be limited to:
• Collaborate with the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Conservation Commission and Board of Selectmen on the review and development of bylaws and regulations related to business.
• Develop proposals to encourage investment in business properties that make the community more attractive to include special attention on productive reuse of vacant properties.
• Foster and sustain collaboration between the business community, Regional Chamber of Commerce, Exchange Club, Planning Board, Conservation Commission, Board of Health, Board of Selectmen and Zoning Board of Appeals to facilitate public-private partnerships.
• Partner with Town officials and other stakeholders to market the community as an attractive location to work and live.
• Perform on-going assessments of the Town’s economic resources and assets.
• Review regional economic development plans such as the 2012 Greater Worcester Area Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) and the developing Central 13 Prioritization Project to understand the concerns and opportunities facing the economy in the surrounding communities.
• Understand the economic development tools available through federal, state or local resources that the Town of Spencer can make available to businesses seeking to locate in Spencer or to assist existing businesses with expansion or sustainability.
• Utilize findings of the 2003 Master Plan and the 2009 Town Center Revitalization Planning Project Report to guide development of the Committee’s work plan and priorities.
The Committee will periodically identify their short, intermediate, and long term goals which will affect the projects named above.