Preserving Spencer's History
Established under state law, the Spencer Historical Commission seeks to identify and promote the town’s historical resources. The commission consists of seven unpaid members appointed for three-year terms by the Board of Selectmen. Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. in the Howe Village Community Center. All meetings are always open to the public, and everyone is welcome to attend.
- Preserving Spencer’s historic places
- Planning for and implementing programs for the identification, evaluation, and protection of Spencer’s historic resources
- Working with municipal agency to insure the historic preservation are considered in planning for future development of Spencer
- Working with local groups whose interests involve history or historic preservation
Work That The Commission Has Done To Date
- The Spencer Main St. (downtown area) was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The East Main-Cherry Street District followed in 1996. In 2003, a new survey was conducted resulting in the Main Street Historic District (expansion). Included were West Main Street and portions of street located north and south of the present district. This area was placed on the National Register in 2003.
- The year 1990 saw the publishing of The History of Spencer Mass. 1875 – 1975 by Jeffery H. Fiske.
- In June of 2003, two signs were installed along Main Street to commemorate an historical property and a monument: the site where the Massasoit Hotel stood (lawn area in front of the Sovereign Bank), and the Soldier’s War Monument,(beside D.P.I.).
- Placement of Scenic Road signs.
Work In Progress
Photographic Journey’s Into The Past Of Spencer Series – ongoing.
The Worcester Revolution of 1774 - We are are looking forward to celebrating a truly extraordinary historical event in Worcester County. The Commission will be involved in events in the Spencer and Worcester in 2014.
How to contact the Historical Commission
The commission has no paid staff nor phone, and all the work of the commission is done by the members or by volunteers. Correspondence to the Commission may be sent to the address above.