Public Notice – Annual Spencer Water Use Restriction
The Town of Spencer voted at their October 27, 2011 Town Meeting to enact ARTICLE 15 Water Conservation and Restriction Bylaw, which includes mandatory water use restrictions effective May 1st through September 30th each year. A complete copy of the Town of Spencer ARTICLE 15 Water Conservation and Restriction Bylaw can be found at the following internet web site location. http://www.spencerma.gov/Pages/SpencerMA_Water/Article15ConservationByLaw.pdf
The following water use restrictions will be in place from May 1st through September 30th:
Water Use Restrictions
Mandatory conservation which prohibits the following non-essential outdoor activities from occurring between hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
a) irrigation of lawns via automatic sprinkler systems;
b) washing of vehicles except in a commercial car wash; and
c) washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalks, except as necessary to apply paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.
Automatic sprinkler system shall mean any system for watering vegetation other than a hand-held hose or a bucket.
Violations and Penalties
Any person violating this by-law shall be liable to the Town in the amounts listed below:
a) First violation: Warning
b) Second violation: $100.00 dollar fine
c) Third violation: $250.00 dollar fine
Each day of violation shall constitute a separate offense. Fines shall be recovered by complaint before the District Court, or by non-criminal disposition in accordance with section 21D of chapter 40 of the general laws. For purposes of non-criminal disposition, the enforcing person shall be any police officer of the town or the water superintendent or the superintendent’s designee. If a State of Water Supply Emergency has been declared the Water Commissioners may, in accordance with G.L. c. 40, s. 41A, shut off the water at the meter or the curb stop.
Additional Water Use Restrictions – Monitoring Drought Conditions
Recently the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has been experiencing severe drought conditions that have required additional water use restrictions, which can be further implemented at any time. The Spencer Water Department will continue to monitor drought conditions in our region utilizing the resources below. Please be aware that if drought conditions worsen the Water Department may have to implement additional mandatory water use restrictions.
Water Conservation Public Outreach Information, Tips and Useful Links
Water conservation is an important way to protect our drinking water by ensuring that we don’t diminish our resource. As much as 97% of the world’s water is saltwater, leaving 3% freshwater, two-thirds of which is stored as icecaps or glaciers. This leaves us 1% of the world’s water for drinking. Needless to say, water conservation will help us sustain our precious 1%. The Town of Spencer water conservation public outreach information, tips, and useful links to other water conservation web sites will be published and updated on the following web page:
100+ Ways to Conserve Water
Other Water Conservation Links
MassDEP Water Conservation Web Page
Lawn Watering Water Conservation Tips
- Lawn watering: Water your lawn only when it needs it. Step on your grass. If the grass springs back, when you lift your foot, it doesn't need water. Saves 750-1,500 gallons per month. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth. Saves three gallons each day. Set lawn mower blades one notch higher. Longer grass means less evaporation. Saves 500 to 1,500 gallons each month. Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants. Saves 750 to 1500 gallons per month.
- Automatic lawn sprinklers (includes all above ground and below ground sprinklers - see definition above) are very popular, and many people have installed underground automatic sprinkler systems. While this can be positive, it can also create serious problems if not installed properly. Any landscaping company will tell you that the best time to water your lawn is in the early morning or during the evening. Watering your lawn during the day wastes water due to the evaporation that occurs. Some experts say that as much as 50% of the water will evaporate before it soaks into the ground on a hot sunny day.
If any questions contact the Spencer Utilities and Facilities Office at (508) 885-7525 or (508) 885-7515.